The technology has evolved, the policy and legislation is in place and the financial incentives now exist for the rapid expansion of renewable energy systems in the UK. Widespread awareness and experience of the immediate threats posed by climate change, energy supply and energy security is also at an all-time high. These threats and opportunities have combined to create an attractive environment for investment in renewable energy technologies and we want to ensure that everyone has the ability to participate in this exciting new future.
Community Power Cornwall provides an economic model through which local people and interested communities can own and benefit from the development of these renewable energy initiatives.
Community ownership offers the opportunity to create a diverse, sustainable and secure energy supply infrastructure, under control of the community and with profits returned to the local economy. We are offering you the chance to take advantage of current and future opportunities whilst retaining the environmental, social and financial benefits within Cornwall.
By purchasing shares in Community Power Cornwall you will:
- Contribute directly to reducing local carbon emissions and the negative impacts of human activity on the environment.
- Ensure that the community participates in the ownership, direction and development of renewable energy resources.
- Gain an equal vote in how the society is managed, enhanced and developed.
- Be eligible for a variable interest payment based on the performance of Community Power Cornwall.
- Enable the creation of local Low Carbon Funds to support the communities hosting installations in meeting their future low carbon aspirations.
- Develop a local energy supply, securing the benefits of decentralised energy production and the efficiencies of generation and distribution this brings.
- Contribute to the provision of clean, green, sustainable renewable energy supply in Cornwall, building long term prosperity and economic security.
- Increase the skills and capacity within Cornish communities to cope with and take advantage of future sustainable energy supply markets.
- Significantly enhance Cornwall’s contribution to tackling global climate change. Leading by example.
- Enable a replicable working model to be rolled out across the UK and beyond.
- Support the development of mechanisms not dependant on public grant funding, including, the creation of a sustainable, peer reviewed, community development finance institution, ‘The low carbon Society.’
- Contribute directly to the enhancement of local money flows and the strengthening of the local economy.
Community Power Cornwall member’s expected benefit:
- Through the receipt of interest paid on your investment.
- By significantly reducing their contributions to climate change.
- By making an environmental, social and financial contribution to your community.
Community Power Cornwall is a pioneering model in the UK but has been developed based on successful models of community ownership across Europe and beyond as well as a long history of co-operative development.